About Glen Katlein
Glen is a proven change agent providing strategic financial management leadership that helps successful growth and exit transitions. His track record includes:
- Exit strategy (business sales) – mergers and acquisitions 21 businesses – over $2 billion
- Attaining debt ($50k to $20 million) and equity funding ($500k to $4 million),
- Early stage business growth 2X EBITDA 1 Year, turnarounds, and 8 start-ups
- Strategic planning proformas / budgeting / forecasting,
- Line of business / customer profitability and pricing models,
- Dashboard reports, KPI metrics, accountability scorecards,
- Fnancial systems and process reengineering/Six Sigma: Green Belt project Top 1%
He is a “hands on” team player and strategic business partner who is sensitive to business needs while maintaining integrity in the numbers.
Glen has over 39 years’ experience, including 23 years as CFO for privately held and public companies. He has controller, internal audit, and Big 4 experience. Industries include manufacturing, services, distribution, health care, transportation, oil and gas, financial services, contractors and not for profit organizations.
Glen has led 17 acquisitions totaling over $1.7 billion and led four (4) business sales totaling over $300 million. Glen is a Certified Business Transition ExpertTM trainer for B2B CFO®.
As a partner with B2B CFO® Glen has helped manufacturing, service, distribution, oilfield services, health care, and contractor businesses attain capital and debt funding, identify and implement strategic initiatives to improve profitability, and improve reporting systems to enable timely and effective business decision making. He has also helped not for profit service organizations improve their fiscal accountability.
Prior to B2B CFO® Glen was CFO for an early stage company that practically doubled revenue (from $18 to $34 million), and operating income (from $5 to $9 million) in the second year of operation. He attained $100 million bank facility proposals, $45 million TRAC sale-leaseback proposals, and $15 million subordinated debt to fund growth.
As a Region CFO Glen contributed leadership to turnaround an underperforming region which exceeded its business plan for the first time and each succeeding year, and within two years ranked number 2 on the overall internal scorecard. Glen is a certified Six Sigma Green Belt and led a project selected one of 15 Best amongst 1400 projects.
As a Group CFO, Glen served 5+ years as ‘shared’ CFO for several business units with annual revenue ranging from $10 to $200 million. He was a key executive team member for two highly successful start-up businesses exceeding $50 million annual revenue and 20% return on equity by their fifth year of operation.
He earned an MBA specializing in Corporate Finance from the University of Dallas. He earned his BBA in Accounting, graduating cum laude, from Eastern Michigan University.
Glen is also active in the community. He is currently Board Member and VP Finance for the Maurine F. Bailey Cultural Foundation. He previously served on the Board of Directors of Captain Hope’s Kids, Carter BloodCare, and ARC of Dallas (including two terms as President).
Glen and Tracy have been married 32 years. They have two daughters, a son in law, and a Yellow Lab Jack Russell Terrier mix.
- MBA – University of Dallas
- BBA – Eastern Michigan University
Certificates & Licenses:
- Inactive CPA
- Maurine F Bailey Cultural Foundation
Articles by Glen Katlein
- Strategies to Execute a Successful Acquisition
- How to Calculate Operating Costs & Increase Cash Flow
- How to Sell Your Company for Maximum Value
- Protect Your Business With Financial Controls
- Strategies to Grow Successfully
- The Critical Role of Finance in Strategic Plans
- 3 Keys to a Successful Business Sale
- How to Make the Most of Your Exit
- HAPPY CHANUKAH and MERRY CHRISTMAS
- 3 Ways to Grow
- 6 Tips to Navigate a Successful Merger & Acquisition
- 7 Tips to Exit Successfully™
- Are you tracking the right numbers for financial health?
- 3 Ways to Combat Financial Fraud
- How to Increase the Value of Your Business
- Detailed Forecast Reports: A Key to Business Growth
- 4 Ways to Develop a Better Exit Strategy
- When Cost Cutting Gets Expensive
- Move Your Company Forward with a Partnership Between HR and Finance
- Exit Strategies and Exit Plans – Is There a Difference?
- 3 Tips to Overcome Financial Roadblocks
- Holiday Blessings: Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah!
- Are You Managing Your Cash Flow Correctly?
- Are You at Risk for a Cash Flow Crisis?
- When Should You Start Planning to Exit Your Business?
- SMALL BUSINESS COMPLIANCE 2016: WHAT SMALL BUSINESSES CAN EXPECT (part one)
- A Dozen Deductions For Your Small business (part two)
- 6 Rules to Expand Your Network and Enrich Your Existing One
- Majority of Costs to Remodel or Refurbish Retail Stores Are Deductible Under New Safe Harbor
- 10 Ways to Keep Your Company’s Cash Flow Alive
- Why Every CFO Should Invest in Essential Technology
- Keep It Simple (part 4)
- Pricing strategy, liquidity, capacity are key components to business success
- Keep It Simple Part 3
- Baby Boomers Ready to Sell Businesses
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Names B2B CFO® among Nation’s Top 100 Small Businesses at the 2015 Small Business Summit
- 6 Tips for Avoiding the Common Financial Pitfalls of Being a Young Entrepreneur
- When You’re Ready to Sell the Business
- Dallas/Fort Worth SBA Loan FAQs
- 7 Questions to Ask before you Sell your Business
- Tax Advice that can save your Small Business a lot of Money in 2015
- SME Financing the Smart Way
- Insights from PwC’s US Family Business Survey
- 5 Common Small Business Challenges
- 7 Steps to Cash Flow Management
- 4 SIGNS YOUR PRICES ARE TOO LOW
- Back to Basics
- What small businesses can expect in the form of growth for 2015?
- A Fraud Punch List
- Understanding Cash vs Accrual Accounting Methods
- 8 Ways To Get More Out Of Your Chamber Of Commerce Membership
- Advice for small business owners selling their business
- Vision, Mission, and Strategy
- How to Get Cash Out of Your Business
- Angel Investor Tips
- Financial Management Concerns for Entrepreneurs
- What Forecasting Is NOT
- What To Do When the Boss Is a Tax Evader
- Pricing Strategy – The Unintended Consequences!
- How to Cut Costs and Spend Less in a Cash-Strapped Business
- M&A Incubator Program™
- PROFESSIONALS YOU SHOULD HIRE WHEN SELLING YOUR BUSINESS
- Do you Intend to Exit Your Business? Do You Have a Plan?
- Do you have Chapter 7 confused with Chapter 11? We’ll set you straight.
- Selling Your Business
- CASH IS STILL KING WHEN IT COMES TO RUNNING A BUSINESS
- The Exit Strategy™ Seminar 2014
- Being A Leader Within Your Company- Managing Employees
- The rise of Financial Analytics in Enterprise Strategy
- Preparing the Bank to Help Your Business Finances
- Five questions that can help small business owners anticipate the unexpected
- Should You Sell Your Business? 7 Things to Consider
- What a CFO Taught My Startup About Projections
- Overcoming Barriers to Cash Optimisation
- The Discovery Analysis
- Tips For Women’s Business Growth In 2014
- Timely & Accurate Business Financial Statements
- Cash, We Help You Get It
- Jerry L. Mills Named Among Top 5 Finalists of the Middle Market Thought Leader Award
- New Year’s resolutions for small businesses
- Low Wage Workers Getting Older
- Happy Holidays from Glen Katlein
- What You Need to Know About 401(k) Limits in 2014
- Be Ready For Rising Business Costs In 2014
- IRS Finalizes Rules on Additional Medicare Tax
- Gross Profit Optimization
- Navigating the Risk Awareness Cycle
- Only 4 ways to improve profit
- From Chaos to Clarity – Getting to the Truth
- Detailed Guide to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)
- Small Business Influencers
- How to Find the Unique Selling Position for Your Small Business
- Sharing the Profits Requires Some Tough Calls
- Growing A Small Business? Here Are 5 Financial Equations You Need To Know
- Increasing Profitability – Managing Selling General and Administrative Costs
- Got Budget? Why you should care whether your business has a written budget…
- Exit Planning is a Fluid Process
- The Exit Strategy Seminar
- The Exit Strategy Handbook
- What are you going to do with all those financial statements?
- Strategic Planning Made Simple
- Twelve Points for Your Business Compass (continued)
- Twelve Points for Your Business Compass
- Smart 25 Awards… The Nominees Are…
- Exit Plan – 9 Ways to Build Value
- Smart 25 Awards
- How to Get Cash Out of Your Business
- How to Get Cash Out of Your Business
- Have You Hired The Right Bank (continued)
- Re-electing the Status Quo- Some Fiscal Drag; No Recession
- Financing Growth for Small Businesses – Factoring as an Effective Cost of Sales! (continued)
- Two Numbers Every Business Owner Should Know- David Kirkup
- The 5 Cs of Credit (continued)
- 5 Cs of Credit
- Glen Katlein, B2B CFO